Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Why are my children crying? Is it because when Audrey finished her last bottle I noticed there were big clumps of formula that did not mix up. Obviously I didn't shake the bottle well enough. Great, now she won't gain any weight because all the nutrients she needed were in those clumps. Or is she crying because she got switched to formula because her mother couldn't produce enough of her own milk and now her once well moving bowels are constipated? Is James crying because since he got switched to formula he now spits up where he used to NEVER? Or his he upset because he is constipated as well?
Audrey is sneezing. Once, twice, three times in a row. Great she is getting sick. Back in the hospital she goes. Did I not cover her well enough while she slept last night? Does she not have on enough clothes? No, the doctor said sneezing is just a reflex. But maybe she caught a chill last night during her bath. Well she doesn't feel warm, maybe she is okay. But what if she is not?

Why does James sound as if he has a gallon of snot in his nose. I just cleaned it out and got absolutely nothing. Maybe he is getting sick too. Probably because his bed is close to a window and it was cold last night and he didn't have on enough clothes. Or, maybe he had on too many clothes, got overheated and that is how he is catching a cold. Or worse. Maybe RSV. No, he is getting shots for that. Very expensive shots. How are we ever gonna pay for those shots? They have to have them. No option. Maybe a money tree will start growing in my back yard tomorrow.

Maybe they are both getting sick because this morning I was on the computer and they started crying and I forgot to wash my hands before I touched them and now they are gonna catch some deadly diesease. I am a horrible mother. How are they ever gonna survive with me as their mother? Now I feel sorry for them. They didn't pick me. They got stuck with me.
What if Audrey turns out to be a serial killer because I didn't hold her enough when she needed it because her brother was crying because he was hungry too. Didn't talk to her enough when it was important and now she doesn't have any social skills and turns gothic when she becomes a teenager because she can't make any friends because her mother didn't have time to make sure she got enough "tummy time" at the right age.

What if James becomes a cleptomaniac when he grows up because his mother paid more attention to his sister than him as a baby. Which makes him do extreme things to get attention. Hurry up feed James so Audrey can get her diaper changed or be held because she is crying uncontrolably. Get done with James and throw him down to get house work done. Poor James.
Hey maybe my children are crying because neither one of them got burped well enough because I didn't have an hour a piece at 3 am to burp them properly. The doctor said " eat slow, burp often" Now I am a negletful mother. But when it takes forever to get them to actually open their mouth to take the bottle how can I possibly stop them to burp them. Because the minute I take it out the other one will start crying because it is 15 minutes past their feeding time and they don't understand why they have to wait. Yep, just like I thought. Now Audrey won't open her mouth and there goes James. So, I let her gulp it down knowing it will cause her to have a HUGE spit later but I can't take James' screaming any longer. Now I am a selfish mother.

Okay, got Audrey down and asleep. Get James and change his diaper. He hates to have his diaper changed and starts screaming. It gets louder and louder because not only does he hate to get his diaper changed he is STARVING because his sissy took to long to eat. Now he has swallowed to much air, has a huge bubble and won't eat. But is still crying because he his hungry. Now Audrey starts crying because James is so loud he could wake up the dead. AHHHHHHHHHHHH.................................................................
It may all sound dramatic but these are the actual things that go through my head every day. Maybe I am going crazy. Great, now my kids will have to visit their mother in the nut house.....see here I go again!


12 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, Amanda! You should stop making having twins sound so glamerous-you'll make me want a pair! ;)

Seriously though, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have two itty bitty babies at once! I have other friends who are new mommies of single babies and they say those same kind of things, so multiply it by two and it must be tough.

I know that you are an absolutely wonderful mommy to those adorable babies and I pray that you are able to feel that way too (even when you have two screaming, barfing, gasy, snotty bundles of you-call-this-joy? on your hands!)

One day they will be teenagers and you'll wish you could go back to these days! ;)

I love you lots and pray for you daily! And here's a great big cyber-hug for ya, in case you need it.

Beth said...

Amanda,

Bless you heart, I am sure you are doing a great job! I have a 8 day old baby and I can't imagine having 2. Being a mommy is the hardest thing you will ever do.

And the second guessing yourself is totally normal. It is so hard to know what the best thing is for them. And when they get snotty noses it is always scary even without the RSV thing.

God gives us challenges in life. I am sure that God knew you would be a wonderful mother or He would not have entrusted those precious bundles to you!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I think of you often and lots of times it is at 4am when I am feeding Rebecca!

God Bless!

Sam and Nelda said...

Girl, girl! Breath...Hopefully just venting on the blog brought you some sort of sanity... You are such a good little momma...I know there are times that you feel like you're going to break but you won't...you're a momma now...you're like the energizer bunny...you just keep going and going and going!!!! You are capable of great feats! You're like the bionic woman..momma's can hold eight things in each hand and still manage to open the door...and besides this, you are married to super dad that's not afraid to get up at night or change a dirty hiney!

I'm so glad you have the blog to share all of your frustrations...and precious, precious growing like little weeds, children!

I love you!
Nonie/Nelda

Nenie said...

Amanda, that is absolutely the cutest, sweetest,most adorable "tongue in cheek" dialogue I have ever read! No kidding, it is so witty ! Thanks for the chuckles, smiles , and joy that you and yours bring to me. love Nenie.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky said...

How precious! This needs to be published. I am still laughing. Absolutely LOVE this one!

Dana said...

Amanda,
Thank you for making me feel normal. All I can say is, welcome to motherhood! You know how crazy I was when Allie was first born. I think that my anxiousness after she was born was the one thing that I was totally unprepared for. You are doing a wonderful job. By looking at the two little bugers, I think they are doing mighty fine! Love you girl!

su said...

So all of us moms smile and chuckle as we read this because it all sounds so very very familiar. I can remember mopping the kitchen and crying because I was convinced Will had some horrible disease when he was a baby. Yes, when our children are born, we suddenly become neurotic, but I don't think I've ever known anyone to capture it so well and transfer to the written word. Please send to "Parents" magazine. You might be able to pay for those shots!"

Dianne said...

Oh, 'Manda,

That's MY song...the words I know by heart. You know my history so even though my "babies" are grown men and 'woman' now, I still wonder if it's because I didn't rock enough or sing to enough. Maybe rocked TOO much or, Heaven forbid, not ENOUGH.

Every Mama reading your "blog" is smiling benignly or chuckling. Even though we KNOW the crazy imaginings Mama's do. It's still endearing, familiar, and often heard.

Because you're playing through EVERY scenario of what you perceive to be "ill" treatment of these Precious Peeps, you get to wear GUT MOM badge. I'll find you one. And, those fears will continue to play over and over.

God knows 'zackly what kind of Mom & Dad He sent Audrey and James to. He SHOWED out, methinks!

Love you all, welcome to MommyHood. The agony & thrill!

Dianne (-:

Amber said...

My favorite was the "goth" comment for when Audrey is a teenager. HAHAHA!!

I have been known to shoot up the prayer, "Lord, please don't let me screw them up." But then I feel bad for using the word "screw" in a prayer. I really mean it though. I realize that I am so capable of screwing them up.

Thanks for the laugh today! We have all been there multiple times.

Wish we could see you all. I hate that we won't be able to see you are our regular scheduled programming time in January. At least, maybe May? :)

the ladner family said...

Memo!!! that is so unberably cute i can't stand it! i know it has been said but, welcome to motherhood. It is bliss one second then what am i doing to these kids the next! It will get better, just hang in there and take deep breaths, it helps.

Dani said...

Gary is laughing and says to tell you to breathe. He also told me, see you don't really want kids do you? haha.

Praying for you, we know you'll be good, Godly and loving parents.

Danielle and Gary B.