Thursday, January 19, 2017

Did you know?

The first 5 1/2 weeks of his life were a little hectic to say the least! When we left the hospital two days after he was born his bilirubin levels were elevated. And when we went to the pediatrician for his day after check up (a Thursday) his levels were a little higher. The Dr wanted him to get a heel prick the next day to get an accurate reading so we went back to Tallahassee on Friday morning. Then we had to go back to the Dr’s office for the results directly after that. His levels were up to 13 so we were told to supplement every 2-3 feeds with formula to help get his liver working quicker so the jaundice would skedattle. The lactation nurse who was working with me almost had a hissy fit right then and there. Those breastfeeding people don’t play around. Ok, technically at the time I was (and still am) one of those breastfeeding people but I did raise three perfectly healthy children on formula so I was down with it. 

Any who, we supplemented as told and and went back to Tallahassee on Saturday (to the hospital lab this time) this time with all 4 children in tow and had his heel pricked again. We went straight home and had to call the on call nurse this time for the results and the levels were at 15 this time (not stressful at all) and were told to supplement every other feed with formula and to go back on Sunday for another count. Sunday morning posed a little problem for us since I couldn’t drive so I had to call on a dear friend to help out and she gladly drove Henry and I back to Tallahassee for the 4th straight day. This time his count was down enough that they didn't want him to have his heel pricked again but wanted him to see the doctor the next day. It was his one week check up by that time and our surrogate grandmother drove us then since daddy had to go back to work.

This is where it starts to get hazy. I know we went back to the Pediatrician 2 more times after that in a weeks time because another good friend of mine had to drive us. But I cannot for the life of me remember why. But I do know it got old quickly having to go back and forth so much with him right after he was born while I was still struggling with the after affects of major abdominal surgery, being a first time breast feeding mom and worrying about my other 3 children and husband. But its what they call Mom Life, right?!

 9 days after Christmas Henry came down with RSV. Where did he get you ask? Well we won’t really ever know I suppose but we have some good guesses. The week before school got out for Christmas, Jon came down with a nasty crud and two days after Christmas I came down with some nasty crud and 6 days after Christmas the girls came down with some nasty crud that came with horrible coughs. Take your pick. While we were in the hospital, the nurses told us this year has been the worst for RSV that they have seen in a long time. Of course it would be! But, Henry was blessed to only be afflicted with a mild case of it, even though it did earn him an over night stay in the hospital for observation and 2 weeks later there are no signs of that nasty cough or terrible snotty nose he had to suffer through. Praise the Lord.


Becky said...

What a bumpy start y'all have had! So glad baby boy is better now. I love and miss! Thank you for this wonderful update and beautiful pictures!

Sam and Nelda said...

So thankful that this part of Henry's little life is behind him and that you survived! Sweet sweet pics.