Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Nutcracker on Mulberry

For many, many years through out my childhood and teenage years during the Christmas season, our mother would get us all gussied up and take us to downtown Macon on Mulberry Street to see The Nutcracker at The Grand Opera House. Sounds fabulous, doesn't it? :) It's one of my all time favorite Christmas memories/traditions and ever since Audrey Grace was born into this world (right around the corner from The Grand) I've longed to take her there. I've taken her to the Nutcracker each year since she was 3 here in Thomasville where the Ballet school she attends puts on a show every year but, it's just not the same. Not for me any way and I have a feeling that after this year, she will share my love and admiration for the one in Macon.

My sister, my niece and my mother accompanied us as it just would not of been the same with out them. And we had a wonderful time! It was a crispy cool evening outside with a jam packed house inside and the dancers were extraordinary. A few Principals (I sound like a ballet guru, don't I?) come down from the Atlanta Ballet every year to dance the big parts and they move across that stage so effortlessly it leaves you feeling like you could get up there and twirl your way through the dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. Hannah and Audrey were twirling their way up and down the stairs during the intermission, giggling like silly little girls. It was sweet.

Right before it started, as Audrey was looking around the theater, she grabbed my arm and squealed with excitement "Mama!!!! Thank you so so so much for bringing me here! This is awesome!!" Best Christmas present ever for this old mama right there. Hands down.

However, it was much longer than the ones she's used to and right around the 1 1/2 hour mark she started to get fidgety, wondering when it was going to be over. She was sleepy too as it was wayyy past little chica's bedtime. She told me one time that she might fall asleep on the way home! But she didn't. Her and Hannah giggled the whole trip back :)














p.s. an 85L is on my Christmas wish list. Only having this 50mm is starting to get on my nerves...

1 comment:

Sam and Nelda said...

What a wonderful Christmas memory! Sweet!