Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pointers

Some of you may have read the short version of this story on facebook. My apologies for the rerun! 

Recently I caught my son red handed giving his sister pointers on how to be more sneaky. I was pulling a double shift that day (all day and night by myself) and was a little distracted by the end of it. I was focused on getting their supper on the table so that they could eat, take a bath and get in the bed! Audrey kept asking for chips and I kept saying no, not realizing there was a bag out on the counter. I then heard a rustling sound and turned around to see Audrey with her hand in the chip bag. I didn’t even say anything (guess I have perfected my death glare) and she ran out of the kitchen sobbing. She perched right outside the kitchen door quietly sobbing and telling James she was gonna get in trouble.


Soon they made their way into the living room all the while Audrey was crying telling James how she was gonna be in trouble. She climbed up on the love seat and James got on his knees in front of her. I walked into the dining room at the exact moment he was looking up at her and saying “Audge, when mama tells me not to get chips I get chips and go into the play room and eat them.” I could hardly believe my ears. It was infuriating and hilarious all at the same time. I just stood there trying out my best poker face, staring a hole thru him till he looked over and saw me. He had the deer in headlights look for about 2 seconds then quickly said “Mama I told Audrey how when you tell me not to get chips I get chips and eat them in the play room. But I’m not gonna do that any more. Really.”


All I can say is I am so thankful that I am not a single parent and that his father is around a lot of the time to help out during these exasperating situations. James and Audrey have been tag teaming us from the moment their tiny bodies were born into this world. It’s getting trickier now that they are older. With infants screaming at you all the time you loose your sanity in a different way than with preschoolers working together to try and outsmart you.

1 comment:

Becky said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have missed commenting so much! Glad you're back to your old self.
This is one of my favorite James stories ever. Can't wait 'til Friday!